Preskills Knowledge and Skills for Students
- Simplify fractions to the lowest terms.
- Model fractional relationships.
- Generate equivalent fractions.
- Master basic multiplication and division facts through 12 x 12.
Mathematics Content Knowledge for Teachers
- Ratios compare 2 quantities, such as boys to girls (people) or red to yellow (apples).
- Rates are a specific type of ratio that compares 2 different quantities, such as miles per gallon or dollars per pound.
- Unit rates compare a quantity to 1 unit, such as miles per gallon, and use the words “per” or “for.” Examples: 3 oranges for a dollar, 2 cookies per student.
- Ratios and rates can be written with a division bar, with the word “to,” or with a colon. Example: , 2 to 3, or 2:3.
- Ratios and rates can be simplified, using the same procedure as fractions.